Friday, February 12, 2010

7 year olds and Valentines' Day

I know that Valentines' Day is supposed to be about love, dinner out, and starry gazes. I know the card companies spend endless hours writing just the "right" cards for every sentiment. I know men dedicate hours wondering if they've made the right plans... but I've got it beat.

I spend the day with little children who worry about the fact that everyone brought cards for their friends but them, or who pick the "wrong" card and get laughed at, or boys who HATE getting "girl" Valentines. But the best thing is the big smile they have on their faces when they hand you the card or sucker or handmade flower that was chosen just for you - and hope with all their heart that you like it.

It makes you feel like you have all the power in the world!

2 comments:

Jaci said...

I LOVE it!!! Jarred and I don't celebrate Valentines .. too main stream media for us. But I love love love seeing the kids getting excited about getting cards!!! Its crazy .. because sometimes I forget how vulnerable kids can be. I forgot how I felt giving the Valentines card to the little boy in class you had a crush on. Now, it takes on a whole new meaning getting cards from your own kids. Its great. Thanks for sharing!! And yes, you DO have them beat!!!!

The Johnsons said...

Ah, holidays at schools with little kids. :) Glad it's a good day!