Wednesday, January 26, 2011

One look...

When the girls were little, I'd spat their little legs, or their hands, to get my point across. I thought that was what moms do - or, did - and so I had no remorse about doing it. The girls grew up well mannered and don't seem any worse for the wear...

This past weekend, Erin and her children came to visit. Bladen was "eating" a grill cheese sandwich for lunch, and decided he'd had enough.
So, dead-eyeing me, he proceeded to hold his bite out over the side of the highchair tray as if to say, "Thanks, Nana. No more." Now, I've heard Erin and Gregg both say "No" to Liz and Bladen, so I felt like I could do it without much of a ruckus.

"Bladen, No!" I must have said it with my "teacher voice", because he sank back into the chair and had such a downcast look on his face that I wanted to crawl under the table and cry!! His eyes said to me, "Oh, Nana - how COULD you?!?!" For a good minute or so, he just sat, beaten down like I'd taken away all his little spirit. I had to try several times to tickle his little fat toes, or jiggle his leg, before he'd even crack a little smile. I made it up to him the rest of the visit, and I think he's forgiven me.

So - I hope I never forget that little face whenever he needs guiding again. It's just not in me to make that little man look like that again!!

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

It was a little sad but so funny! I've never seen him sit and look like that before. Good to know you still have it in you for all the grandbaby-sitting in your future!