Thursday, February 14, 2013

What I've learned about love

Today is Valentine's Day.  Like you didn't know that -

When I stumbled out of bed, after Andy'd left for breakfast with a friend, I found a card and Sugar-free candy waiting for me.  It HAS to be one of my all-time favorite cards; I've read it numerous times already, and it's not noon yet....

I am a wife that needs constant validation from my husband... and he is a man that, while he loves deeply, hasn't always been a doter.  He's committed, he's devoted, he's faithful, he's almost corny in his affection at times, and he's steadfast.  He's "it" to me, and has been since I first kissed him all those years ago.  But, while knowing that, in the past I haven't KNOWN that.  Confused?

The last couple of years have grown us both into new people; me - more confident and knowledgeable about myself, and him - more and more open in his undying, total love for me as his wife.  In this area alone, I kick myself for waiting so long for my surgery.  Through it, we have both seen a new level of what our marriage and love have grown to become to each other.

I've learned from Andrew and our life together that marriage is at it's best when there is something real sticking you together. While we've always had the bond of our marriage, the raising of our girls, and our devotion to our Lord, it's times of - for lack of a better word - stress that pulls out the stops.  It's times of transition and change, and it's times of facing certain realities that force us to re-evaluate where we are.  Watching my parents both die, and watching his age into their 80's, watching our girls face adversity and watching other marriages that we thought would survive fail has made our union more precious to us as the years have passed.  It almost takes on a "Survivor" mentality - that nothing dare come between us. 

In 1973 , when I met him, I thought I knew what it meant to love him.  Silly me - so, to those of you wondering what I've learned about love, here goes -

When you find it, take care of it.  Grow it, laugh in it, treat it with kid gloves, and most of all - DON'T let go of it.  You will reap the rewards immeasurably in the end.

No comments: