Friday, June 21, 2013

Vicarious Dreams

I have never been an athlete.  Far from it - my dear old dad once told me that I walked like I was pushing a plow.  Thanks. 

The  closest I ever got to being on a field during a game was dancing in the drill team (now, there's an image for you!) in High School.  Can't throw, or run, or jump (Erin has proof on video if you'd like to see it!) or even see a travel when they call one.

So, why am I so obsessed with the San Antonio Spurs?!?!?  It has nothing to do with the game.  Yeah, I can tell when they mess up - most of the time - and I can get REAL excited when they do something great.  But that is the vehicle through which I became a fan. 

Every sports fan thinks their guys are the best.  Ask 'em, and they'll tell you.  My favorite fan outside of SA is my cousin, Deeann Wood.  Now, that girl is a Rangers' fanatic.  Lately, we have bonded closer than ever over our respective teams and their players.  It's been great to get texts from her during Spurs games to encourage, praise, and comfort when I needed it the most.  Got one this morning, in fact, as I sat gloomily watching Press Conference sadness.  That is part of the bond you make when you "share" a team.  When one of our group last night starting saying "it's over", he was almost run out of the house.  No place for that, even if it was true....

No, my allegiance - yes, allegiance - is not to the entity of the Spurs, but to the individuals.  Pop, Tim, Tony, Manu.... and on and on.  You want to know them personally, while knowing if the chance came, you'd be so dumbfounded that you would not be able to speak a word.  You feel for them when their lives go badly, which in San Antonio is a closely guarded secret. You hope for their happiness and success. 

And you want them to reach their dreams and goals.  When I was reminded by a lady this week at one of the games that "it's only a game",  I responded that, no, it's the chasing of a dream. And it's sad when a dream goes unfulfilled.  Even if they are mega-millionaires, they are men, with dreams.  If that sounds silly, then I guess I am silly. 

So, for now, the games are done.  The Spurs will get away and put this season in perspective in preparation for the next time.  How many "next times" does Tim have left?  Will Manu return, or was this the end?  That is why this season, after coming so, so close to the realization of a 5th Championship is so hard to let go of.

So -   Go, Spurs, Go!

No comments: