Thursday, November 18, 2010

It was twenty years ago today...

no, not Sergeant Pepper's band playing, but the loss of my dear dad. How can it be 20 years?!? After a long month of hospital visits, waiting rooms, and doctor consultations, my sweet dad slipped peacefully into the next life. I was with him just an hour before, and on that visit, he'd opened his eyes for the first time in a month and smiled at me. I know he knew me - just the recognition on his face is enough to make me sure. I left. He died.

And life has "gone on." The girls grew up, graduated from both high school and college. We built our home with his inheritance. Mom died. Erin met and married Gregg. Then Liz. Now Bladen. Dana is an established, respected teacher. Both girls are strong in their faith.

He would be so very proud of his kids. Gary has a wonderful life right now - well and strong. Marsha is married, with Casey grown and two little ones to raise; one named Calvin - Daddy's middle name. I completed a fullfilling career as a teacher, and am now happily retired. Andy is an elder. It's all worked out for the good.

I believe he is resting peacefully, awaiting the resurrection of the dead. I will see him at Christ's coming, and we will have a great reunion. Until then, I will just have to miss him.

No comments: