Thursday, January 10, 2013

Saying "Goodby" to Christmas

So, today I packed up Christmas.  Been meaning to, just haven't.  For me, putting Christmas away is sweeter than putting it all out to begin with.  Usually, you are in a rush; people are coming over, or family is coming in, or - well, you know.  In years past, the girls hovered over my shoulder wanting to help (which I LOVED, in case you doubted!), and so the dishing out of "stuff" takes on more of a hurried feel.

But putting Christmas away is more settled, for me anyway.  Today, the house is quiet, and I'm alone.  It's my birthday, so I'm feeling introspective anyway, and the handling and wrapping of each item is both sad and memorable.

I decided to write this post as I was wrapping up a Jim Shore snowman that Erin's mother in law gave me several Christmases ago.  They are wonderful, and over the years, I have recieved several.  For some reason, I thought - "someday, these will all be Erin's, and she'll have a really nice collection!" While that is a lovely, warm feeling, I really hope it isn't too soon!! :)

So, in an effort to keep this from rambling too much, I'll just relate some of the thoughts that crossed my mind today -
  Mom's ceramic carolers - she loved working with her hands, and since I've always loved singing, they are tops on my list!  Each one delicately done, with mouths wide open in joyous singing...
  The "Yule Log" candle holder - one of my favorites; I think Erin's already claimed that one for later.  Each year, I enjoy the intricate work on the berries and holly leaves.  It was one of my best "finds" ever!
  Dana's aluminum Christmas Bell - done in 4th grade when she had Pauline Williams for her teacher.  Back when days could be spent on fun things like gifts for parents instead of preparing for the next Benchmark test.  It sits in the same frame she brought it home in. Sweet memories.
   Mr. and Mrs. Santa and Frosty are not in their place this year; they've gone to live at the Johnsons.  I painted them years ago, and haven't taken them out of the cabinet for a few years, so I offered them to the girls.  Dana's in Cairo, and Erin has 3 children, so there's one for each of them.  A nice symetry, and a future memory of something Nana once did for them to enjoy.
   My aunt Joyce and uncle Curtis always shopped at the Dollar Store.  One year, they gave us a little plastic red and green train that spells out "Merry Christmas".  I used to take it to school for my desk, because the kids loved it.  I love it, too.
  I have an old, fragile string of beads that Mama had on her tree.  It finds a different place each year; this year, it was on a shelf with some family pictures; kind of a heritage thing, I guess.
  Jackie's quilt; just received last Christmas.  Lots of love and hours of work in that - the warmth of the fabric is nothing compared to the warmth of the idea that she made it for me. 
  Andy and I have our stockings that my mother in law, Anne made.  She knitted each and every family member their own, with Bladen receiving the last one two years ago, before she was no longer able to do them.  (Andy's being the first, he'll tell you that each one got bigger and bigger... to his chagrin!)
  And lastly, our Christmas tree skirt.  I see in my mind's eye Andy sitting on the floor our first Christmas together, latch-hooking to his heart's content.  It has stains from when Smudge, our late son-cat, used it for a litter box, and Latch-hook went out of style decades ago, but it is ours.  The girls' first - and every- Santa gift sat on that skirt, and will for the rest of my life. 

   While I could go on, I won't.  You get the idea -  So, Christmas is over and put away for another year.  Lord willing, we'll drag it all out in November 2013, and enjoy another season together.  Who knows what that will be!! 

    

No comments: