Monday, March 15, 2010

The Elephant in the Room

This week in Houston was good - except that Mom wants to talk about her death, and it upsets Dad. So - she's "with it" enough to talk to us when he leaves the room.

She is ready; she is tired; she wants us to let go and accept things that are coming. None of us want her to stay the way she is - a painful, tragic reminder of the woman that "was." Her wit is in tact, and so is her passion about things spiritual and in relation to her situation.

As we sat, just the two of us, I rubbed lotion on her soft, old skin. She told me that I had "strong hands", and that I would've been a good nurse. I would've done anything she asked then - just to show her my honor and respect. I did get the chance to tell her what I've always tried to make her understand; that of all the women that could've raised Andy and Bruce after their mother died, I'm so glad she was the one who "got to." She gave me a big smile and said, "I loved Andy."

So now, we'll see. All of us just wait and try to make sure she is comfortable and loved. All of us hope.

No comments: