Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Sex vs. Violence

Over the weekend, Andy and I saw several movies. The first, the American, had some pretty blatant sex scenes, one curse word, and lots of shooting people.

Next came Men Who Stare at Goats, also George Clooney; very different movies!! More profanity, but lots and lots of laughs. Will watch it again, given the chance.

Finally, we finished the mini-series Band of Brothers, focusing on the Easy Company during WWII. More cursing than ever, but if I was being shot at and seeing the atrocities of that War, I may let a word or two slip.

The final episode focused on the discovery of an Interment Camp and Hitler's Eagle's Nest compound. As I watched the scenes of the Jewish prisoners, I told Andy that surely nothing in Human History can top the cruelty of the Germans. The scene, I'm sure, did it's best to be realistic, but I wonder just how true to the horror it came... I don't think I could stand to see much more.


So, I wonder - what bothers you more in a movie; the sex, the cursing, or the violence?? For me, the violence, hands down.

2 comments:

Beth said...

If I'm watching something with Jay and/or Brad, it's the sex. Generally the way sex is pictured in movies is SO not what God wants for us and I hate for them to see that distorted view of something so wonderful. The cursing...if it's bodily function words, not so much. If it's about God, it bothers me. Violence - depends on the context and how graphic it is.

Dana said...

Typically, I'm not a fan of any of it. At all. However, if the violence is historical, I might be able to stomach it a bit more.