Monday, September 27, 2010

Dad's day

When I get to Heaven, one thing I'm going to love is that there will be no time. Time frustrates me - when you need it to go fast, it slows down; want to "freeze time?" - it speeds up. Waiting for the proverbial pot to boil; forget being in a rush to finish the pasta!!

My dad would be 90 years old today if he were still living. I can't imagine him at that advanced age, because he died 20 years ago. Twenty years. Erin was a little girl; now, she's a mom of two. Casey hardly remembers him. I don't think of Dad as he was when he died, rather I choose to remember him 5 years before his death. He was happy, healthy, active and loving being a grandpa. The end of his life was sad.

There are things I want Dana and Erin to always remember about their Papaw:
~ he loved spending time with them; walking down the road, pushing them in the swing, sitting in the swing in the front yard.
~ he couldn't quote a lot of scripture, but he lived a good life
~ he loved the church and the people there. Sometimes, there would be only 2 or 3 men to lead the service, so Papaw would do announcements, lead singing, and serve the Lord's Supper.
~ he could fix anything. He had no college degrees, but he helped develop the C-5 airplane for the Air Force and went to the Pentagon to explain it to the powers that be.
~ he loved music. Country and Western or Hymns. Didn't matter. He whistled or sang softly under his breath.
~ you would sit on the floor with him and watch him roll his cigarrets. He smelled of tobacco, oil, and dirt - a musty aroma blend of his hard work.
~ he loved his yard. Hours and hours mowing, trimming, edging, and working in the garden. Peaceful times for him after a long day.


I've missed Dad a lot since Liz and Bladen have been born - I know he would be thrilled to know he had great-grandchildren. He was a good man, father, employee, community member, Christian, Dad and Papaw.

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I do remember those things. Particularly him being in the yard and rolling his cigarettes. :)

Randall Aaron said...

Some thoughts from another family member...
I always enjoyed the Strawberry Festivsl visits and staying at the Young house. We could not afford a motel and your dad was always willing to open his house for us on visits. He did remind us to watch the electricity useage while we were there. I had several "car" type discussions with him. He and I both enjoted working on our cars. Every Sunday we were there he would be up and ready for church like clockwork. I wish now I had attended with him on some those occasions. I was not the christian I should have been when I was younger. Just the memory of those Sundays offer great witness to the man I knew.
We look forward to seeing you and Andy at Thanksgiving. We can do some real catching up...