Thursday, October 14, 2010

Meanwhile, back at the mine....

Like millions of other people around the world last night, I watched as one-by-one, the Chilean miners were rescued from their "jail" 2 miles below the earth's crust. As each man was brought up, tears would form in my eyes - I had no clue who these men were, even if they were decent men deserving of rescue - and yet the emotions of those around me were contaigious. Family, friends, fellow miners, even the Chilean President and his wife, were all there; with each one a loud chant would rise up. I could repeat it with them by too long - wondering what in the world I was saying!!

Sorryfully, I had two negative thoughts come to mind; would Obama and Michelle stand in support for 24 hours for American miners? Maybe in an election year and they were'nt on vacation.... the other thought was, "if this was in American, standing along the edge would be lawyer upon lawyer. How sad that on this happy occasions these indictments of our society came to mind.

In the end, all was over. The last rescuer bowed before the camera deep inside the earth, grabbed his back of rocks, and waved to the men up above before climbing into the Phoenix to ascend to the fresh air of life. It was an enhilarating moment to behold!!

Now, my prayer is that they will all fall into obscurity and get back to the life they had over 70 days ago; family, work, peace. I hope the world leaves them alone in thankfullness for what they masterfully endured.

No comments: