Thursday, October 21, 2010

Visiting at its best

I've been thinking about this post for several days....

Frances and I have two things in common; Christ our Savior, and a great love for my daughter, Erin. Frances taught Erin in Bible Class when we first moved to Pleasanton and has always loved her. Erin is easy to love, and Frances never hid her obvious feelings for her. When Erin was getting married, we went over to her house, and Frances gave Erin her choice of three gifts; Erin still displays it to this day in her home.

On to the visit. Sunday, I was sitting on the front pew at church following worship, and suddenly, Frances appears beside me. She asked if I would come over to her home - she had something to show me. (Frances is a wonderful artist, and a few weeks earlier, I had commented on some work of hers shown in our local paper.)

When I arrived, Frances and her sweet husband, Taylor met me at the door. They are in their very late 80's, and I have known them since I was a little girl. It is an odd feeling to call them by their first names, but they insist. She took me into the eating area of their kitchen, and so started a wonderful afternoon of talking and looking over her paintings. She took me from room to room, each one a museum of her paintings - some quite old, some almost still wet . When we got to their bedroom, there hung the painting I had seen in the paper. As we talked, she bent down and picked up a print of the painting she had done for me!!

As we neared the end of our "tour", Frances asked me quite sweetly if I could come again to visit some more. She said, "You are acquainted with people at church, but you only come to know them by spending time together."

For some reason, this made me very emotional. Here is this woman I have worshipped with all these years, who loves my family with all her heart, and yet I haven't spent time in her home other than very few occasions. I hugged her tightly, promised her that I would, and then excused myself. She walked me to the car, arm in arm - pointing out plants and items of interest in her yard.

My heart felt full. I hope I don't get "busy" and forget to go again.

No comments: