Tuesday, December 07, 2010

One quiet, blissful hour

Saturday was Bladen's first birthday party. We arrived at the Johnson home about 9:30 to find the place jumping - Gregg's family had arrived , and cleaning and preparing was going on all over the place.

About an hour later, Gregg went to put "B" down for his morning nap, but he wouldn't settle down. With Erin gone and Gregg in the shower, this Nana decided to take matters into her own hand. What followed was the most magnificent hour I've had in a long, long time.

When I entered his room, Bladen was glad to see me. I lifted him out of his crib, and headed to the rocking chair. It's been a while since I rocked a baby to sleep, and I took advantage of the timing. We settled in, and in just a short while, this little birthday boy was sound asleep in my arms. The room was dark, and cool, and he felt like warm butter in my arms. He rested soundly as I sang to him, and we spent the whole time doing just that. I considered briefly trying to lay him in his crib, but decided to just stay there and smell his sweet hair and listen to his sweet baby sounds.

Eventually, both Gregg and Erin came in to check on us, and after a while, he stirred. While he was awake, he was not eager to get down, and waited patiently with me until his mom came in to dress him for the party. Our private time was over, and we rejoined the crowd to celebrate his first year of life.

When the girls were babies, I found this poem which I recalled that day. I don't know it all right now, but I do remember this part: "Hide away cobwebs, dust go to sleep; I'm rocking my baby, and babies don't keep."

No comments: