Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My sweetest gift, so far....

I hope everyone is feeling peaceful and happy the day after Christmas; I am home alone - Dana will be in after a while, Andy works today and tomorrow; and the Johnsons arrive Friday for the LaMore round of festivities.
We had a lovely, quiet day. Talked to Mom and Dad, ate blueberry muffins for breakfast, opened gifts, watched the latest installment of Looney Tunes, and then went to the Huttons for dinner. Delicious Cornish Game Hens - my first ever. They really wanted to build the anticipation, because they took twice the normal time to cook. A feast with friends; what more could one ask?! Thanks, R & J !
Monday, I received the sweetest gift I've gotten in a while. We'd been out and came home to wrap gifts, a call came in with a number I did not recognize. I usually don't answer, but it was Christmas Eve, so I did. This little voice asks for me, and identified herself as my little Amiga from last school year! She'd come across my number while looking at her "favorite" books, and wanted to wish me a Merry Christmas! I put "favorite" in quotes because she's one of my most severely dyslexic students ever, and to have favorite books makes me crazy!! Anyway, she clued me in on all her latest happenings - they're spending the holidays visiting all the family bars; she loves to sing with the Karaoke machines! She is writing country songs for when she becomes famous, and she got a straightener for her lovely, curly blond hair. Her little girl voice filled my heart so full joy that it was all I could do to respond. She's one of those I would bring home with me and raise, if I thought I could. I hope she calls for years to come!!
Relax, enjoy your left-over pies, and watch a good movie.
Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful phone call! If you get to talk to Cheyenne again, please tell her that I think of her and am still looking for her name in the paper! (I told her that I'd be watching for her name to show up on the honor roll!)

Merry Christmas! --Beth