Sunday, December 16, 2007

Making peace with the Devil

I teach children with dyslexia. At first, I didn't like it - in fact, I really hated the curriculum. Now, though, since I've seen it work it's "magic" with some kids, I've decided it's a good place for me to be right now. I"m the only one on my campus that teaches it, so I'm kinda alone in it, but that has it's good parts, too.

When you can't read, books (and any written word) are demonds to be conquered. By the time you're in 3rd or 4th grade, books have tortured and humiliated you enough for a life-time, and there are years yet to face them. That's why I am adamant about reading books to my classes at the beginning of each session. I find books that are low level enough for them to be able to approach them, and that have colorful illustrations and interesting pictures to draw their interest from those WORDS. As we read together, I let them feel the pages, and take time to
really take in the picture, we discuss each and every one as we go, and after a few, the books have become not quite so much a big evil monster.
Especially here at Christmas, the kids who are so grown up as to not believe in Santa anymore come around and sit with big wide eyes and wanting to take one more look or touch one more embossed illustration.
I hope one day, they will remember that Mrs. LaMore took time to go over these with them - and smile.

FYI - tomorrow's book is a picture book - not a word to be found; and it's one of my favorite!!

3 comments:

Dana said...

Which book is it?

Darla said...

Tuesday?

Or a Carl book?

I took Tuesday to church with me this morning and Joel "read" it. He loved it. At the end when the pigs start to fly he thought that was really funny.

It lets you use your imagination more and you "discover" the story.

Love it!

Amy said...

Actually, there were some words... oops. The title is "The Last Christmas Present." It's cute!

And Darla - I LOVE the Carl books!