Thursday, January 10, 2008

Memories from birthdays long ago

Today, I am 53 years old. I wish I understood time better; but I don't. I don't think about getting older much, but sometime it forces me to look it square in the eye and deal with it.



Today, I'm remembering being a little girl who LOVED bakery cakes. Not those HEB ones that don't have any flavor and the icing comes from a tub of Cool Whip. I'm thinking of Earl's Bakery cakes, across from the old Rick's side entrance. You could smell the goods baking at about El Castillo, and staring in the display cakes at cookies, donuts, and pies was almost sinful. I don't know when she would order it, but every year, for my birthday, my mom would order MY Earl's cake, and we would drive the whole 8 miles from Poteet to pick it up. I can feel the rich, creamy icing in my mouth today, all these years later. Such a simple thing for a kid to want - a birthday cake, but when mom was on a budget, and we DID have to come all the way from Poteet - it made my day for weeks!
Tonight, there's an Apple pie in the oven with my name on it - one of three choices I gave Andy as to what I wanted. My mouth is watering already!!
Dinner calls - see 'ya!!

2 comments:

Darla said...

Oh, Amy! Happy Birthday. What a lousy friend I am. I did not even know it was your birthday. I hope that apple pie was great.

I remember the Earl's donuts. They were the best.

Jackie said...

Hey, I'm late, but for what it's worth,k I did remember. Was just too tired and 'grad-kidded' out to e. Also, I hate blogging on anyones computer than mine. Don't get me wrong - other computers are fine. I just feel comfortable with mine.
Sorry, got to rambling.
Hope your day was awesome. Robert spent his over the atlantic and greenland and canada. think we should all celebrate later, huh?