Saturday, February 23, 2008

Notes of Encouragement

I love to encourage people. It takes so little time and effort, yet the rewards are instantaeous and true.

Yesterday, I wrote one of my dyslexia student's mom to tell her how very much I enjoyed her son's manners. In the days of teaching, 2008, you hear a lot of "Huhs?" and "Yeahs" and "Idunnknows". This little fella is almost - well, I guess he is if I took the time to write his mom - out of the ordinary with this politeness. And it doesn't make him wierd! I guess that it truly what makes him stand out; he is an active, goofy little boy who could handle his own in any social situation.

I wrote his mom because she is actually his "step" - not a rarity in any school, and she's only been in his life about 3 years. I told her to feel good, that all the work she's pouring into this little man is paying off even when she's not around. In no time, I had an email back, so happy was she to hear from me.

That made my day - a happy mom made so by 5 minutes of my time. What better thing could I have done with that 5 minutes?

No comments: