Friday, November 21, 2008

My favorite phobia

Are you phobic about anything? I guess everyone is about something, but mine has really come back to haunt me.

As a child, I never was taken to the dentist. My first experience was one of sitting in the library watching a film about a bear when I suddenly fell to the floor in tremendous pain from an unexpected toothache. The teacher called my mother and she took me to the local dentist who sidelined as an interogist for the CIA using torture. Not really. In fact, he was a relative, which made matters worse!!

So. Over the years, my dealings with the dentist have been sporadic and fearful. I had 2 or 3 that I really liked, but either I moved or one committed suicide. (That REALLY did not help me!) I was always good about taking the girls and keeping up with their visits, but could not make myself go. At one point, I drove to the office 3 times and left without ever going in.

Now, here I am at 53 with a mess of a mouth. I have to go, and soon. I'm not in pain, but I know it will come if I don't take care of it. To top it off, I just found out my dentist does not have nitrous oxide anymore, which made my getting in the chair a lot easier. Now, it will only be the happy pill and me.

Silly, right? But even now, as I sit here, my stomach is quaking with the thought of it. I really need help....

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Wide op0en spaces. And loud noises.

And would you kiss on Andy if his teeth were all nasty and rotted? (No, not saying yours are, but IF it were the other way around . . . ?)

Take the pill and go, girl.