Sunday, December 21, 2008

Huntsville on my mind

Lately, I've been thinking about Huntsville a lot. It's where Andy and I met, married, had Dana, and lived very happily for about 10 years. Our dear friends, the Tissues, were a big part of our happiness, as was the congregation where we worshipped. I've often said leaving Huntsville was one of the saddest days of my life. And lately, I want to go back and visit - to see the campus of our youth (I don't know if I could manuever the hills or not!), to attend worship with the saints there, and to feel and see the beauty of East Texas.

I think the reason for my yearning is Liz. This part of Erin and Gregg's life takes me back there - before we knew that life can be hard, and dreamed big dreams - some of which have come true, but not all. It was a sweet time for us, and I'd like to renew that feeling, if just for a few days....

Most of the people we knew there are no longer there; some from moving, but most from passing from this life to the next. The Lasaters, Bro. Kramer, Faye Lassiter, Betty Waldron and more. They played a role in our life of example, caring and faithfulness. The Tissues have moved on in their life as well, and driving through the old neighborhood makes me sad, but also brings back sweet, sweet memories of when my babies were young and we thought our whole life was still ahead of us.

Long ago, we said we would return there to live at retirement, but I don't think that will happen. Our life is here, now, and I imagine we will stay. But sometimes, lately, I sure miss Huntsville!!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I hurt for Missouri. I can't seem to help it. But . . . I'm here now.

Bad buzz. That's a line from a movie.

Dana said...

I'm not sure if this is what you were going for but the title to this post makes me start humming good ole James Taylor's "Carolina in my Mind."

Maybe a weekend trip might be good. A trip down memory lane with some thankfulness concerning what God has done since your humble beginnings.

shanon said...

I miss Huntsville too and the many hours we spent together. Thank you for the sweet memories..then and memories we are still making together as "Forever Friends"
Have a wonderful Christmas!
Shanon