Monday, January 18, 2010

Listening

Lately, I've been struggling with allergies, which cause me to cough a lot. It also keeps me from singing in worship - my favorite thing to do - because my throat begins to tickle and I end up distrupting those around me. Happens every Spring, so I shouldn't be surprised, but I do dread it every year.

During these past few weeks, I have paid special attention to Andy as he sings. In our fellowship, we sing 4 part harmony, congregational style, and I have sat next to Andy in worship for 36 years. I have never really listened to him, as I am usually singing myself.

No one loves music more than Andrew. He has it on in the car every mile he drives (unless the Spurs are on!) - and he remembers everything about every song he's ever loved. Outside of worship, he's not really a singer, but when the time comes, he's there. Music is very much a part of who he is.

Yesterday, as I sat beside him and listened to his nice, rich bass voice singing beside me, I fell in love again with this man. His praise to our God was true from his heart, and while probably no one else could pick out his voice from among others in the worship, to me, it was the most beautiful.

No comments: