Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sunrise, sunset

When Andy and I got married in 1976, a couple we knew got married about 2 weeks after we did. The groom's younger brother was very ill, and his parents had recently gotten word from the doctors that the young boy - about 12 - would not live much longer. Their wedding was a strange mix of the extreme happiness of weddings and the realization that a dear family member was there for just a little longer. One of the songs they had in their wedding was "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof. In all those years, whenever I've heard that song, I've thought of that wedding.

The boy?

He's alive, healthy, married, and a dad in his own right.

Anyway, back to the song.

Today, as my first one turns 30, I think of the words to that song. It's a father's reflection of the life of his child as she has grown, and it's one of those songs that make moms cry, but today, I choose to think of it as a serenade of Dana's life.

Look at her - she is beautiful, graceful, loving, classy, funny, committed, passionate and above all, God's child. 30 years ago, this woman had no clue what was ahead in life for her, and - for the most part - it's been good and safe. For that, I am eternally greatful. Seeing her today with all of us was pure joy for this mom, and while it was short, it was sweet.

"Sunrise, Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset,
Swiftly fly the years.
One season following another,
Laden with happiness, and tears."

Here's to many more Sunrises and Sunsets, Dana. God bless you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many questions though. You will feel the music fresh and relevant today, after 47 years? Video http://usspost.com/fiddler-on-the-roof-4673/

Dana said...

If I am any of those things, it is because you taught me how to do it! I love you SO much!