Friday, June 25, 2010

Lessons learned

I was 25 when I had Dana, 28 when Erin was born. A few years later, I had baby fever again, but - well, Andy didn't, so we were a happy family of 4. I took the business of raising the girls very seriously, and really tried to enjoy my time with them as they grew into toddlers, little girls, preteens, and yes, even teenagers. A wise woman told me, "Enjoy each age you go through, for each one does have it's advantages." And so I tried. We played, colored, sang, built, etc. as each season rolled into another.


Yesterday, I went with Jackie and the 5 little ones to Burger King. We had a wonderful time, laughing, waving, even comforting one who got scared when she couldn't find her sister. It was a happy, peaceful time with my friend.

Now, today as I reflect on that visit, I wish I had Dana and Erin back again for just one day - to enjoy them again as little girls, learning life all over again; and I wonder if I could do it "better" with the wisdom of years. I know I would be more patient, and slower with my demands; but overall, I think I did a pretty good job - they are wonderful, well-adjusted, God-fearing women in their own successful lives.

Sometimes, though, I just miss my little girls.

3 comments:

Darla said...

I so understand! I think I could be better. I learned so much raising mine and then teaching has taught a good bit, too. I would love mine back for awhile.
I would listen more.
I would react less.
Love more
and worry over the house less. And that is just for starters!

mrsjohn said...

I would listen more.
I would react less.
Love more
and worry over the house less. And that is just for starters!I suggest this site to my friends so it could be useful
flowers australia

Amanda's Mom said...

I woudl like a 'do-over' again of those early years. I learned a lot from those hectic years, but learned it all a bit too late, I fear. I, too, would listen more, react less, and play with them more. The laundry and housecleaning can wait - they aren't important in the whole schem of things.