Monday, July 12, 2010

"and Mary kept all these things in her heart."

This is one of my favorite quotes of the New Testament, referring to the life of Jesus, His mother Mary witnessing things and holding them in her heart forever. I've thought of it often during the years as Dana and Erin grew from little babies, to toddlers, to teens, and even now as women. I love to observe them and tuck away little things that are special in my "mom's eyes".

Last week was a good chance to add lots of those moments - I spent three days in Houston at the Johnsons' (don't I have a great son-in-law to endure me all those days?!?) and the joy of seeing Erin with her babies; to see her teaching Liz such little things as kissing her baby brother good-night, and "helping" fold clothes were just precious. I know I did those same things, but it didn't feel the same as watching her. I enjoyed Gregg coming in after work and getting "It's Dad!" from Liz; so full of excitement and love for her father and his joy at seeing his children. I even got to witness Dana totally enjoying her role as Aunt D as she shared chocolate pie with Liz and taught her to jump on the bed and fall in heaps of giggles. My heart just filled up time and time again.

So, even know, as I sit here at look at Bladen and Liz's pictures - I remember all those little things - Bladen doing his "pose" as he balanced himself on the floor - and it's almost as good as being there still.

Almost....

2 comments:

Darla said...

....(sigh)

Debbysuz said...

You beautifully described a Mary's heart.