Monday, July 05, 2010

What do you remember about church from your youth? Andy and I were talking this morning about people who have gone before us, who impacted our faith, and I got to thinking about Myrtle Spence.

Sister Spence, as I knew her, was a truly committed Christian woman in the long ago years of the 50s and 60s. She never missed a service, her head covered in a fashionable hat and knitted shawl, sitting in her spot on the end of her pew, beside the window. We had those old, crank-open windows and no airconditioning in those days, and she was right there, beside hers. As I sat across the aisle, or down the row, or behind her, I could always hear her sweet, clear voice singing hymns, but otherwise, she was silent.

The thing I remember most, and this is why she is on my list of "heroes of faith", is her teaching my Bible Class. She always had flannelboard figures, or - my favorite - pipe-cleaner figures with which to act out Bible Stories. Daniel and the Lion's Den, Noah's Ark, Moses in the reed basket. She brought those stories to life with her animated story telling and pipe cleaners....no dvds for us!! We sang lots of songs and always, always passed the band-aid box for our offering to the missionaries. She made sure we participated in all parts of the class.

Sister Spence has been gone a long, long time; but now, thinking back, it's as if I saw her yesterday. I hold a special part in my heart, and I look forward to seeing her in the future, in our Father's house.

So - who are your Sister Spences?? Please share!!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas

Eva said...

I did not have a sister Spencer in my life, I wish I had. You wrote that so well that I could see her sitting there what a blessing that memory must be to you!
I did have a Grandmother that was a big influence in my life though and when I sing Hymns I can hear her voice in my head singing to the best of her ability. She was not the best mother for me but she did her best as she helped my mother to raise me. Thank you for sharing your memory with me I enjoyed reading it.