Monday, April 25, 2011

Living in the dark

Both of my daughters live in the Houston area; and both have made the same comment recently upon coming home: "It is SO dark here at night!"

I guess living in the city, there are always lights; on highways, buildings, signs, and just the crazy amount of other cars you meet while driving. It's one of those things I guess I take for granted; the night and how it surrounds you. It covers you like a big blanket, and on certain nights affords you sights in the heavens that we take for granted. Andy loves to carry his telescope out and view the constellations and the planets, and - to be truthful - often has to beg me to join him.

As we weigh the pros and cons of "someday" moving back to be near family, that is certainly something we would lose by going there - the quiet, stillness of the small town night.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

That's not what I said. I said Hwy 37 between San Antonio is dark. Meaning there are zero lights shining on a road where people drive faster than the 70mph speed limit. We can see stars and constellations just find. :)

Amy said...

I stand corrected -

Jackie said...

Oh the love!