Monday, November 07, 2011

Reflections on the Campaign

It's the Monday after Victory Sunday... the campaign in its formal sense is behind us, and we are all both exhausted and invigorated! Here is a feeble attempt at putting my thoughts and feelings into print:

~ There is not much more thrilling than watching a soul born again; their excitement is contagious, their sorrow at the old life humbling, and their precious wonder at it all is overwhelming to observe. Even at # 35, it was fresh and new!

~ Meeting Christians from all over the nation gives me encouragement that the church is alive and well. Some were quiet and reflective, others exhuberant and contaigous in their zeal! Most were in their retirement years, experiences in campaign life and presentation, and some on their first adventure. All loved God and people with a passion.

~ Our people here are amazing to watch at their job. Janitors, cooks, trash taker-outers, studiers, prayers, secretaries... elders, ministers, paid staff and volunteers; this bonded us in a way I truly prayed would happen. Yesterday at the fellowship meal, I saw the campaign director huddled in prayer with one of our elders, and it was if they were alone without knowledge that there were 200 or more swirling around them. I cried.

~ Sometimes you are ashamed of how you go into something, knowing that God is going to do something powerful and you want to be there for every minute, but you really dread it. What I mean is, I was apprehensive of this to begin with - too many things to go into detail here - but I didn't want the day to come when I would look back and say that I'd missed it. And I am so glad I knew to do that. If we let it, this will be something that we look back at as pivotal to our church family.

~ Yes, there are people who will mess it up if you let them. People who get their attitudes up and act like, well, humans. People who make judgements without knowing situations or giving folks a chance. People, just like me sometimes, who just don't care. But you get over them and go on... to their confusion and sadness.

~ Constantly you are reminded of the simplicity and power of the Gospel. I am so thankful that the campaign reminded me of how God made it so beautifully easy for us to be with Him if we will have open hearts and minds. Thank you Larry West for your sermon yesterday for the new babes in Christ; this 40+ year old Christian needed that, too!

~ and finally, you fall in love anew with people you have worshipped alongside for years. When you are side-by-side with them for 10 days, you see such strength and determination.

~ "To Him who is able to do exceedingly more than we can ask or IMAGINE, be honor, glory and Praise for ever and ever more!"

No comments: