Monday, January 30, 2012

Dana's Story

First off, let me say "Happy Birthday" to my Dana. Here is her "story" -
Andy and I married in 1976. I was ready for a baby - he wanted to wait and spend time building our marriage. While I didn't like the idea, I wanted him to be as ready as I was (I thought!), and so I put my dreams on hold. Turned out to be a good idea!
3 years pass. Sweet times of friendship, intimacy, growing in the Lord and bonding as a couple. Exactly what he (Andy) knew we needed. The time came to have a baby... or so we thought. Things didn't work out as quickly as we'd thought, and months passed by. No baby. Temperature charts, documentation of monthy events, etc filled each day with drudgery instead of celebration.
Finally, one day as I'm leaving for school, I hand him a cup of fresh, morning urine and ask him to drop it by the doctor's office. Thinking back on it, what a fun thing to do after working all night! But he did, and told me later that he'd slept not a wink, anticipating a call. When I got home, he shared the news; a baby was on the way!! (This is WAY before texting and email!) It was time to celebrate!!
Our dear friends and neighbors, Mark and Shanon Tissue, treated us to a fancy dinner. She even broke out their wedding china which had never been used, and we dreamed big dreams of this new life.
Months pass; some slowly, others quickly. Soon, Shanon is pregnant also, with their daughter Meredith. (One of my most favorite memories is of Shanon coming home from school and coming straight over to our house and laying baby Dana on her large, round belly to "play" with the baby. Sweet, precious memory!) Showers are given, nursery is built, and in due time, the date arrives.
Mom and dad come over, and when we wake them to announce that we are heading to the hospital, Dad hops in the car with us for the ride over. I never, ever told him, but it was a little surreal to be going to have your baby with your dad tagging along... but I'm so glad he was there. He never left the whole time I was in labor.
And it was a LONG labor; 24+ hours. People came and people went. Other women came in and had their babies while I labored. Nurses' shifts changed, and still, no baby. Andy even went home at one point to get some sleep, only to be called back to help calm my mom down... and no baby.
The delivery went smoothly, but when they did the Apgar test on her, I noticed the nurses were not giving her the most glowing scores. They assured me, though, that the little whimper was just fine - but not the robust cry I'd expected from my newborn. They whisked her off to the nursery and took me to my room to get some rest... I was pretty tired.
The next morning, my doctor comes in. He tells me (Andy was still at home) that he'd like a pediatrician to look at Dana... just a precaution. Okay. Gullible me picks one (hadn't done THAT yet for some reason...), and off he goes.
Evidently, because of my history with asthma and the long, long labor, they'd decided to give me a shot of demerol. Fine. The problem came when the nurse didn't write the shot on my chart, and the next nurse who cared for me saw the order and gave me another shot - too close to the other one. I was fine, but Dana almost died as a result. Later, I found out from some friends from church that they had stayed all night at the nursery window, watching. Evidently, the nurses didn't let Dana sleep at all that night, for fear she wouldn't wake up.
A few days passed... I had to go home baby-less... and all appeared well. She was beautifully perfect and except for not wanting to eat a lot, all went well. At her 4 month checkup, the pediatrician drops the bomb that we needed to do a brain-wave test, because they wanted to make sure she didn't suffer brain damage because of the Demerol. That was the longest hour of my life... the perfect little girl in my arms may face a life of struggles because of a mistake.
Well, all ended up just fine. Dana was and is perfectly fine, thank you very much. She instantly was and remains a dream come true. God was good to protect her from harm, and every day on her birthday, I remember that day with joy and thanksgiving. "What might have been" crosses my mind, but I quickly replace those thoughts with what IS and what WILL BE.
We enjoyed our baby with so much love and hope that, a couple of years later, Erin joined our little family... her story later!

No comments: