Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Looking at life at 57

Today is my 57th birthday. 57. 3 years from 60 and 13 from 70. That is hard to face, folks... my grandmother died at 70 and my mother at 74. The implications are not lost on me.

However, on this day, I am feeling younger than I have in years. I went shopping today and bought a cute - yes, cute! - dress only one size from my pre-surgery goal. That is hard to fathom, even though I tried it on and saw myself in it! I admit that I still walk through the "Woman's" section, although I NEVER intend to buy another thing in that section... it's just a habit that will take a while to break.

This year has had life-saving implications in more ways than one. This time last year, I was struggling to prepare myself for the surgery of all surgeries, and while I thought I was prepared for the aftermath, I could not have imagined how it was going to be. What I learned most of all was that people love me so, so much - and that I didn't know how to handle their love and care, their support was at times overwhelming and unappreciated.

This year dawns with so much anticipation - more bright days ahead than I've ever allowed myself. My life is sweeter now than ever before.

So, while this sweet days fades to dark, I will spend it in our home with the man I love with all my heart. I've talked to both my sweet daughters, and I've enjoyed good wishes from countless friends and family. I am blessed.

Happy Birthday to me!

No comments: