Thursday, March 22, 2012

Oil Business and Wildflowers

The friend who cuts my hair lives in a small community about 10 miles from me. I drove out there yesterday for a long-needed trim, hoping for lots of wildflowers to see along the way. Unfortunately, the profussion of Spring hasn't happened along that road, but another explosion is taking place... the oil field business! All along what was once brush country dotted with small homesteads are now "yards" of tools, equipment, and trucks. A few new wells are pumping oil already, making the land owners newly rich. Traffic is heavier than ever. It's a sign of the times in the land of the Eagle Ford Shale.

As I was coming home, I was thinking about extending my drive to look for more flowers, but decided against it... it had been a full day, and I wanted to go home. I remembered that in recent years, Andy and I would load up and drive around the area to see the flowers. I've always loved Texas in the Spring - as do most citizens of our state - and some of my favorite pictures of the girls are taken in bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush. Liz's first Easter pictures have her sitting in some bluebonnets before she even knew about their glory. It's a rite of passage.

So, this weekend may have to be "the ride". I hear they are glorious East of us. Better fill up the gas tank now!!!

No comments: