Friday, June 02, 2006

I love my daughters. I know, every mom says that, but none with as much gratitude as me. My own mother loved me as much as she could, but I don't think she really wanted to. I was a girl, and she made it very clear that boys were the chosen children. When I came along, many years after my brother, she felt this love for me that all mothers do, but it just didn't make sense to her. I was "wrong", and it took all my life to convince herself that it was okay to love me as a girl. She did everything she could - sewed "cool" clothes, bought me dolls, made a playhouse, gave me lessons, etc. But I was still a girl, and when I didn't act like a boy, she never knew how to act in response. How sad for her. And me.
Then God blessed my life with not ONE daughter, but two. Marvelous little pink things who taught me through their innocence that it's not our sexual identity that makes us worthy but just the very fact that we ARE souls from God, sent down to bless lives and pass on that human emotion of love to others. And they taught me about mothers and daughters in the process. That is why I love my girls.
Thanks, my lovelies.

No comments: