Thursday, June 08, 2006

June, July & August - HA! Let me correct this misnomer - there IS no August vacation for teachers anymore, and June is soon going to be gone. One of the perks of teaching is the summer break, but I have always resented the fact that people assumed that was why I am a teacher. Sure, I choose not to teach summer school; I have in the past, but found for my sanity I need not to. Teaching is a wonderful profession - I look back on 25 yrs. of touching children and making an imprint on their lives, but Sept. to May is enough. Actually, with the TAKS test now, by early March, the kids AND teachers are done. Brain-fried. Finished. Stick a fork in it. Our hours are so intense now with testing, counseling, mothering, guarding, and nursing that when the time comes for summer, I want nothing else to do, thank you. No days filled with "accomplishments" - just let my brain veg out and leave me alone. "What did you do today?" makes me want to scream. Nothing. My mind relaxed and I rested my weary self. I don't want to plan out my days and be on a schedule. Until about Aug. 1. Then, I'll be ready to go back and start all over again. New kids, new calendar, new challenges. That's what I love about teaching.
Now, what movie do I want to watch today?!? :)

No comments: