Monday, June 04, 2007

You just never know

Lord willing, Shanon will be at my dinner table in a few hours. She is coming over to spend a couple of days with me, to "catch up on life."

We met when our husbands worked together at a prison unit in Huntsville, before children and home ownership. Andy and Mark were buds together, and so it was natural that we meet. Soon afterwards, the place next door became available, and Mark and Shanon became our neighbors.

Shanon loves to antagonize Andy during games - we spent many hours together with Mark and I putting up with their battles, while Mark usually came from nowhere and won everything we did.

Anyway, in 1981, we left Huntsville. I think in many ways, it was the saddest and one of the most pivotal days of my life. I drove off with Shanon and their baby on their porch, waving bravely while Dana and I left for Brookshire.

We've kept up through moves and life for all these years, and love each other very much. For me, other friends have come and gone, and I've loved them all; and I think my friendship with Shanon showed me how to cherish people, even from a distance.

Now, it's just the two of us for a few days - don't expect to hear from me until she's gone back west; I don't want to give up a minute with her while she's here!!

4 comments:

Jackie said...

It's too cool that I get to meet her! See ya tonight!

Dana said...

Have a great time!

The Johnsons said...

Hi Shannon!

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Thanks for a wonderful visit. I love you and your family dearly.
You do my heart good!
Shanon