Thursday, May 06, 2010

Every Spring

I confess - having Summers off is a big perk of my job, but it is not the reason I became a teacher. Paul is the reason; a pretty damaged little boy I worked with when I was in High School, who lived in a home that made him eat off the floor like a dog, and who was tormented by other kids, who needed an advocate who saw the little boy beneath the problems.

Now, almost 30 years past, I'm ready to get out. While I love the kids like I always have, the machine which school has become is almost intolerable and unrecognizable to me. The right things are said, and there are teachers who still try to pull it off, but school as I knew it and gave my life to it is gone to me forever.

So I find myself stuck in a place that I cannot leave because I'm not financially able to stop. I go and do what is expected of me, until the time comes. It's very hard to not have a "quitter's " mentality - to continue being the professional I want to continue being, so I focus on my kids, and hope the time passes quickly.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Yep, I agree. Teaching would be a much better profession if they would just let you teach!!! Hang in there, girlfriend. You are SO good with those kiddos. They still need an advocate and you are excellent at what you do with and for them. I was reminded this week of an old Amy Grant song..."in a little while we'll be with the Father, can't you see him smile. In a little while we'll be home forever, in a while. We're just here to learn to love him and we'll be home in just a little while." You are showing the love of God to these kids and it will be just a little while until you can retire...I promise! In the meantime, keep loving God and loving these kids and don't let the evil ones get to you!!! Love you!!!