Friday, August 06, 2010

Andy's Magic Kingdom

Most folks think of Disney World as the "Magic Kingdom." While I'm sure it is a fun place full of adventure, to my husband, there is one place that is way more magical: Kennedy Space Center.

Our drive along the monotonous I-10 corridor was long and, yes, somewhat dull. While we both love road trips, I-10 does not offer a lot to see. True, we did go through a few swampy areas of Louisianna, and saw oil in Mobile Bay, but the majority of the drive was "just getting there."

It would take paragraph after paragraph to describe our adventure at Kennedy, so I will give it my quick review. We were privy to a "behind the scenes" tour of the space center, complete with launch pads and Vehicle Assembly Pads (I think that's right!:) ). We most enjoyed the Apollo building, which had everything you could possible learn about the development of the Apollo program until it's final mission. Andy was a patient, and interesting teacher to his novice student, and while I knew a lot - relative term -, there were some intricate details to be shared. We ate lunch with a shuttle astronaut and grinned really big for our photo with him.

For Andy, it's the dream; for me, it was the people. From KSC employees to tourists from all over the earth, it was a wonderful experience. Not only at the Space Center, but on our boat ride and in restaurants and hotels, we encounted people from Italy, Germany, England, Scotland, all over Asia, and so on. From babies, to teens, to old folks - everyone was enjoying themselves. My husband, most of all.

While I did not see manatees or alligators, I saw several dolphins, and birds of all types. I listened to Neil Diamond played on a steel drum. I ate tuna not from a can, and saw the moon rise over the Atlantic Ocean on the beach with my man. The very few hassels and disappointments will soon be forgotten, but the memories will live on in our lives forever.

I really wanted this trip for Andy; but it was great for me, too.

1 comment:

Randall Aaron said...

Glad you had a great time at the space center! Did you get to see your brother? I pray all was good with him and his daughter. Hope to see you two sometime soon.

Randall