Thursday, September 06, 2007

Books, books and more books

Today, I took my kids to the library for the 1st time this year. Since they miss their regular library time with their class to meet with me each day, it's usually just the 4 or 5 of us with the whole library to ourselves. (Yes, Dana, I said 4 or 5 - I have a tough job!!)


This year, I worked it out with the librarian to come with all classes on the same day, so I basically camped out there. As the schedule fell, the last two groups actually are coming with their classes, so that fills the room up nicely. We help them search for books on the computer, and monitor them to make sure they are getting books on their reability levels. I always have a little one who reads 1st grade level and wants Harry Potter.
Or they only want Great White Sharks and no other shark book will do.

One little girl, who I don't work with, wanted to read me a portion of her book. She dragged up her chair next to mine, and promptly took off. She was having the best day ever, sharing a book with a teacher. I would never have had the nerve to approach a teacher with that request, which made it all the more something I was glad to be part of. Unfortunately, library time was over before we read the fate of Sacagawea, but I think I've heard the story once before.
Well, we made it through with everyone happily finding the perfect book to last us until next time. Now, if we can all just remember to get back to school with it in good condition!!

1 comment:

The Johnsons said...

Book stores, libraries. I love the way they smell. I love holding a book I've never read in my hands and thinking about what's inside. It's like getting ready for a vacation. I love it!

(Am I really saying this?! Who would have thought!)