Saturday, July 04, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

The year I was in 4th grade, Mrs. Stinson was my teacher. I remember her and that year like it was yesterday. Two pivitol things happened that year that changed my path forever; my sister, Marsha, was born, and I had my first traumatic visit to the dentist. But that's not the reason for this post.

Mrs. Stinson taught me everything. What I mean by that is, she was my only teacher - we did not change classes, so what I learned that year, I learned from her. I remember her physical prescence; stout, plain dresses that buttoned down the front; short, curly hair, glasses. I have no idea her age; people I thought were old at the time I learn now were only in their late 40s.

Why I think of her today is the songs we sang while in her class. She was ahead of her time; "crossing the curriculum" combining handwriting, Social Studies, and music appreciation. We had these yellow folders (Social Studies; Texas' yellow roses!) filled with page after page of all these patriotic songs in our best cursive handwriting. Now, being 4th grade, a lot of them were songs about Texas, but a lot of them were about our nation. We would open them up, and while she led us, we would sing with all the gusto 4th graders could produce.

One of my favorites was, "This is my Country":
This is my Country,
Land of my birth -
This is my Country,
Grandest on earth!

I pledge thee my alligiance -
America, the Bold!
For this is my Country -
To have, and to hold!

Mrs. Stinson was a great teacher - she filled us with a love and respect for this great land that has only been impacted throughout the rest of my schooling. I
honor her today, as we celebrate this great land once again.

No comments: