Saturday, September 05, 2009

There comes a time....

It's a parent's reflex to want to protect your child. I am/was no different as a Mother - when Dana and Erin were exposed to something or someone that I saw as a threat, I jumped right in there to take care of them. Those instincts don't go away even when your baby girl has a baby girl, or is in the 7th year of teaching. You want them to only see pretty things, or know nice people, or so on.

Andy and I have always felt like you need to let children live their lives and face their challenges on their own in order to grow into well-balanced adults. So far, so good.

Now, I'm having some issues with the parents of today. Our school district, like those evidently all over the nation, is being inundated with calls from parents not wanting their child to hear the President's address to school children on Tuesday. All the big heads got together and decided not to show the speech live, but to tape it for parents to watch with their children later if they choose. The big threat to damage the all-important Average Daily Attendance by parents keeping their children home that day was the deciding factor, or so I suppose.

Now, I am NOT an Obama fan. I was not a Clinton fan, a Nixon fan, or even always a Bush fan. But I would not keep the girls home from school to prevent them from hearing what the President of the United States said in a speech to school-aged children. As the girls grew, we would make them sit and watch the speeches with us, and discuss the content of the talk afterwards. I know that this is different in that it is during school when parents cannot likely be with their child, but this just doesn't feel "right" to me - what is it that we are teaching theses kids? Is this man truely going to say things to indoctrinate a bunch of kids that blatantly? I find that really hard to believe, but maybe I just don't want to believe it.

Tuesday will tell. Right now, I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt. If he blows it, I'll come back here and apologize to you all. I really, really hope I'm wrong. Really.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

a fact to bear in mind - you and andy are not the norm. I am with the parents wanting to watch it with their kids - NOT in school.

But, then again . . . you know me.