Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Things He's Missed

On this day 19 years ago, my father died.

Some years, the day goes by without my thinking of it; others, it's all I think of. This is one of those years; I'm thinking about all the things in my life that have happened in that time, and it makes me so sad that he has not been here.

Here are some of the biggies:
my home. We built it from the ground up, and daddy would have loved watching every board go into place.
my daughters graduating from college. It was my dad's dream for me to get my degree, and he was so very proud to see me walk the stage.
Erin marrying Gregg. On our wedding day, as Daddy walked me down the aisle, he patted my hand and kept saying, "it's all so beautiful, Amy. You did such a good job!" My dad was not a man of a lot of words, so it meant the world to me. He bawled his eyes out afterwards.
Andy becoming an elder. He would have been proud.
Casey growing up to be a good worker and responsible man.
Elizabeth being born. I wish he could pull her down the road in the red wagon. He whistled and sang a lot, and she'd love that about him. When I was in labor with Dana, he joined Andy and me in the ride to the hospital and never left for one minute until she was here.

He would be 89 now had he lived.

I miss my Dad.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

wonderful blog. I wish I'd known him.