Thursday, November 05, 2009

The guy in Chicago....

I know you have been hearing about the guy in Chicago who has (at this count) 11 bodies of women in his yard and home. These guys fascinate me, and there have been times when I have taught children that I think will someday be involved in the same activities. Jeffrey Dahmer was a tortured soul, and his life of cruelty and hatred will be studied for the rest of time.

So, how do we get smarter than these men? Where in their childhood was the breaking point of the soul; the decision that it is their right and priviledge to do what they do to another human being? I had a neighbor growing up who, when they had a cat give birth to a litter, filled up a tub and drowned each and every one. He didn't grow up to be a killer, but the other factors were not in place.

I don't know that this post even has a point to it; I just had this on my mind. I guess the fascination I have is partially a hope that I can pick up on some little one and make that part of his heart go the right direction. A big task, but I'm willing....

No comments: