Thursday, July 20, 2006

Archie Waldrum died this week. He was 93 years old, and had just finished a week at Camp Bandina; his session for more than 35 years. He told the group at closing ceremonies that they probably would not see him again; and was in a car accident going home with his beloved wife Delores. A lady at a Wal-Mart hit them - how could she have known what she did?
To us at Camp Bandina during Archie's session, he was a true hero of the faith. I see him in my mind's eye as old then, when my grandmother and hero finally talked my mom into letting me go to camp for the first time. For an amazing $28.00, I spent a week in Heaven - looking at the Hill country, singing songs which made my soul soar, and meeting other people of like mind and faith. Archie was always there, and sometimes in the 80s, they named the pavillion where we ate and worshipped after him. How many lives did he touch during all those years?
The last time I saw Archie, we were in Tulsa, Oklahoma at the Soul Winning Workshop. I tapped his shoulder and then - after he knew who I was, gathered him in my arms as if I saw him everyday. Although I never saw him again, just knowing he was still going to that hilltop every July kept things "right."
Now, he is gone - probably having a blast reaquainting himself with those gone before him, including my dear grandmother.
Hug her for me, please Archie. Tell her I'm coming - and I'm bringing my family with me!!

No comments: