Wednesday, July 26, 2006

"...June, July, and August." You know the beginning: "What are the best things about being a teacher?..." Well, August is pretty much out of the mix these days, with school starting for teachers literally the 1st. It's not solid days then, oh no - they fool you into thinking you still have two weeks off, but everyone who is a teacher or lives with one knows that when that calendar turns over, or even before, school has re-entered the thought processes and schedules.
Actually, the new beginning of a school year is one of my favorite things about my profession. Andy's job bleeds year into year, and so do most careers, but teaching is unique in that it has a definite beginning and a definite end. The bell rings in May, and that year - good or bad - is gone. Those kids you loved are passed on to someone new; as are the stinkers you wanted to push out the door! It may be the same classroom, the same staff nearby, the same job description, but it is new. I love that, because it keeps the year sane.
I don't have a favorite year; my years with Billie as my principal are among my happiest, but I do have a worst. And no matter how bad a year becomes, I doubt one will ever surpass that one. Thank God.
My paycheck came in the mail today with my "Back to School" information, so- here it comes. I guess I"m ready; I'd better be!

No comments: