Monday, July 31, 2006

Well - it's July 31st, and summer's done for me. Tomorrow, I begin 3 mornings of inservice to "comp" out days off in the school year. While I really dislike going, I forget the misery of it when those days off come along. Teaching does have it's perks....
I went down the school supply aisle today; I love the smell and sight of all those new colors, binders, and folders. Lunch boxes without peanut butter in the cracks and pencils with the eraser still on. Everyone is looking for that special something that they just have to have, and the anticipation of a new year fills the air.
But the best part of today happened at the vegetable section. I saw Joe. Joe was my student about 6 years ago, and I have his picture framed with a note he sent me after he moved on to another campus. I worked harder with Joe than any other student I've every had, and he left me still unable to read any better than when I got him. His eyes haunt me when I recall him stuggling to read, and wanting so badly to fall through the floor rather than sound out one more one-syllable word. But rather than resent me, he came to love me and me to love him. Now, he drives and has facial hair and today when our eyes met, he was still a 4th grader. He came over and we caught up on his summer and life, and then it was time to move on. He shyly looked up at me and whispered, "Can I have a hug?"
"Of course", I somehow said without choking on my words, and there in the middle of HEB, stood teacher and child in each other's arms. How I wish I had another chance to spend everyday with Joe in my class again - but in some way, I guess I do. He's the reason I continue to make the decision every day to go and try to touch the lives given me.
I hope he has a good year.

No comments: