Thursday, August 21, 2008

My roomie - Patti

Teachers by nature are territorial; our rooms are our havens - our desks, our private sanctums. We can close the doors and rule the world from our own little area. It just comes with the job.

For 4 years now, I've shared my room with Patti. I was apprehensive, to say the least, just because - well, it's sharing. But I have to say, as we start this new year, it's been one of the things that have kept me laughing and sane when I thought nothing could.

Patti is one of the few remaining teachers that have been here longer than me. We happen to worship together, but never really became "close". I don't know that either of us would call each other "best friend", but I know I rely on her a lot. She has a good perspective on what's important to making kids successful and feeling good about themselves without all the doting and games a lot of teachers play these days. And she's a true warrior for the kids' she teaches. She's tough, but kind. She also has the talent to make adults chill out when things get goofy, and I appreciate that. She sees beyond "the test."

There are good things that I do for her as well. We make a good team. We both feel a little odd about this new schedule of mine, but we'll get through it together.
We confide in each other about family and work, and I value her opinion about things. I hope she does mine.

So, Patti, here's to another year. I'll stay if you will!!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

patti is SO cool! so at least you know that you have sanity for a year!