Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Off with a bang!

Well, the school year has begun, and I'll have to say, it's quite different. Monday's breakfast was the beginning - for the first time since 1981, I did not sit with the Elementary Campus for the meeting. Instead, I sat with my new co-workers. There are 3 dyslexia teachers and our supervisor, so we are an intimate little group.

For the beginning of the day, I will work with 1st and 2nd graders. Dana tells me I will love them, but right now, I feel anxious. I'm not quite the same temperment as Primary teachers, and I fear I will scare the little guys. I do mean guys, too. Our of a dozen, one is a girl. Moving on...

After I finish there, I will journey back to the Elementary and have my conference and lunch. Following that, it'll be 4 back - to - back classes. Now, I teach the same curriculum to them all, so by the 6th session of the day, I may be on rote recall. Hopefully, the day will go fast, and we will do just fine. I do have one group that is ahead of the others, so that will give me a bit of a break. I hope.

So, these early days of the 08-09 year are a little confusing and this old dog is learning to adjust to the new tricks given me, but I think I will end up liking it. I'll miss having a "home campus" but I like what I don't have - duty, meetings, etc - more.

And the best part - I have 2 1/2 years to go!

2 comments:

Dana said...

The temperment that you need for working with primary students is no different than working with the elementary students. You just have to used smaller words. You are going to LOVE it and do great!

Darla said...

You will do great!
Thanks for finding me in the crowd. I wanted to get to talk to you but it gets crazy on that first day. I have missed you.