Saturday, February 17, 2007

I know what I've been wanting to tell you about! My surgeon, Dr. Massey, was an interesting man. I guess you would have to be to deal daily with women who are facing life-altering situations and not go into deep depression. I was referred to him by my ob-gyn, who I've know since Dec. I asked him if he would let Dr. Massey operate on his own wife. Now I realize what a foolish question that was.

Dr. Massey is THE gynecological oncologist in SA; he's the one women doctors go to when they get cancer. He's been in practice a long, long time, and does things his way. (My incision is vertical; not the typical bikini cut, for example) His hair is a lovely gray GI Joe cut, and his humor is subtle, but charming. A name plate behind his desk reads:Dr. Massey - at your cervix. He's a brother in Christ, and everyone (save one) I told had only praise because of his care for them or a loved one. So, I went into his office full of optimism and faith.

When we reached the office the first time, the first thing we noticed was that the Christmas tree was still up. Odd, but it was just January. Lots of shiny tinsel, Santas, garland, all throughout the office. Well, the other day, when I went to get my stitches out, it was still there, and so I asked the lady. She told me they keep it all up all year - for the patients. I also found out that they have a big party once a year to mark survival for the cancer patients, and once, Dr. Massey showed up in a purple dress and red wig. For the patients.

So, I am not looking forward to the end of my relationship with Dr. Fred Massey after my March appointment. I'm greatful for his successful treatment, and I thank God the cancer is all gone, but I'd like to keep in touch with this interesting man. He brings laughter and joy to people whose lives need it the most.

No comments: