Saturday, February 24, 2007

Yesterday was not fun...

Before I had surgery, Andy and I went into town and saw "Letters From Iwo Jima" and really enjoyed it. There was one scene, though that really was hard to watch: the Japanese soldiers were choosing to commit suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the U.S. soldiers. They would pull the pin on their grenades and hold it to their chest while it went off. After my surgery, all I could see in my mind's eye was my incision blowing open like those guys. Well, yesterday, I thought it happened!

Andy was getting ready to go to work, and I was laying in bed. I decided to get up to go to the bathroom before he left, and when I got to the restroom, I looked down and saw blood all over me! To say I panicked is an understatement. He had to get me laid down and put toilet paper over me. He examined me and said I had a little opening in my incision about the size of a pencil point. Then, he called Dr. Massey; whose office wasn't open yet. We waited. The blood seemed to stop, and I fell back asleep. About 9:15, his nurse called and Andy explained what was going on - she said I was probably fine, but to take me to the er just in case.

What evidently happened was that I'd built up a pocket of fluid underneath my incision and when it burst, it came out through my stitches. I remembered later feeling a really hard lump the day before right where the opening was. The er doctor gave me antibiotics and sent me home. To say I lay still all day is an understatement; I was petrified. I go see Massey Monday for him to look at it, but things seem to be okay. He told us it would continue to leak out, but it hasn't been too bad. I was just really down, I felt it was a big step backwards in my recovery. I was glad to know, though, that it wasn't something I'd done to cause it.

So, for now, I'm still here. Dana's coming to spend the weekend with her mom (and dad), so that will brighten my spirits. I'm going to try to keep things together, and hope to get to worship tomorrow.

I"ll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Man! I wouldn've freaked!

Thanks for the ear.

I love you.