Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Chance Encounter at MacAlister's

This morning, Andy greeted me with the news that he "had to goto Borders" to use his discount points or lose them. So, we quickly pulled ourselves together, and up the road we went. Nothing like a bookstore and lunch out to get me moving on a Sat. morning.
We decided it was too late for lunch, so what now? I suggested MacAlister's Deli - Erin introduced us in College Station - and he went for it. I like it for two reasons, and forgive me if I've shared this before; but they have GREAT sweet tea and such a large menu that you could eat there for a month and never have the same thing twice. We got there just a little after they opened, and pretty much had the place to ourselves.
Here's where the encounter comes in. A little family was just ahead of us in line, with their little girl - maybe 4 years old. She was jumping up and down in place quietly as mom and dad ordered. I asked them, with a grin on my face, if she woke up like that. Dad laughed and said they put her to bed doing the same thing. Normally, that would send bells and whistles off in my head, but today, it had me chuckling. We ordered and took our place.
In a minute, here came the little family to sit on the row next to us. As I ate, the little one kept peeking through the curtain to "flirt" with me and I played back with here, until her mom told her to "leave the lady alone." She did. As we left, I stopped by to wish them a good day. Mom and dad may think I'm a looney, but it just felt like the right thing to do.
Especially in the city, we avoid eye contact and speaking, like someone is going to rob us or worse. I don't like that about how things are, and if I can't speak to a precious little girl on a beautiful Sat. morning, then I give up. I hope they felt as good as I did for the rest of the morning.
Bring on those encounters to us all!!

3 comments:

Dana said...

I'm glad that you had a good time playing with the little girl in the big city. Just so you know...that happens quite often in Houston. The other day, Erin and I got to watch a group of little ones (mostly boys) playing at Chik-Fil-A while their mothers visited. We walked out smiling and with all of our valuables still in our posession. We survived the kids in a Houston Chick-Fil-A!

Sorry - had to give you a hard time! :)

Darla said...

Little children are so sweet and innocent. I am sure the child found you to be very approachable and not everyone is like that.

Jackie said...

I find myself avoiding eye contact a lot. It's become soemthing I've noticed about myself. I wonder why?