Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Look on the sunny side"

I admit it; I'm an optimist. I grew up one, and I hope to continue in that mode until I'm gone. Life has enough to bring one down without it being what you choose to dwell on. Like the old song title says, "Look on the Sunny Side,"...

Case in point; this weekend. Our Ladies' Retreat. Hill Country. Beautiful weather, almost perfect, but not quite cool enough for me. Women I've known for years and newbies I'm learning to love, and nothing to do but enjoy them. Kim and Lorene did it all but arrange the date, and that was my big contribution. Whooee! We sang, we ate, we played, we studied. We loved on each other, and we missed friends who couldn't be there. It was what I needed, except for my comfy bed!
There have been a couple of things happen along the way that could steal my joy and refreshment from the weekend, but I choose not to dwell on them. People will try to take joy from you, but I won't let them, and I won't let my own thoughts interfere with the great memories I have formed in my mind. My mom always told me that you are as happy as you choose to be, and so I choose great happiness.
The highlight of my weekend? One would have to be watching Mildred Royal learn to play Catch Phrase with us. I hope I have her willingness to learn new things when (and if) I am in my 90s.
A weekend in the Hill Country. God is so good!!

3 comments:

Darla said...

I give out daily quotes. A recent one was: Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

Sometimes, the kids talk about it and sometimes no one says anything. But this time several of the kids agreed that this is true.

I am with you! I like to look on the sunnier side of the road!

Dana said...

While I was sick, I watched Pollyanna. There are so many people that need someone in their lives to teach them the Glad Game. If we could all just find one thing to be glad about when encountered with something trying, the world would be SUCH a better place!

The Johnsons said...

I would love to play Catch Phrase w/ Mrs. Royal! I'm so glad you had a nice weekend. A happy weekend!