Sunday, October 14, 2007

God's Face

Growing up in the church of Christ, I've never had a picture of Jesus hanging on my bedroom wall or in the auditorium at church; in fact, when I went to my grandmothers, I'd almost cover my eyes to avoid "idol worship" caused by looking at hers. I was always taught that we were not given "graven images" in order to avoid worshipping the wrong thing, and I've read those scriptures about people dying because they saw the face of God. I know all that.

But today, I really needed to see the face of my Father. I wasn't there, spiritually, and I yearned to focus on Who it was I was there to honor. On other occasions, I've closed my eyes and just tried to focus on the whole Heaven thing, while avoiding His face. Didn't work today - too many distractions to filter. It would have been so very helpful just to see the One my heart and soul ache to praise. To have the tangible amid the ordinary would have taken my breath away, which is what worship should do to us -
I'm really hoping this weekend, on the Retreat, that I have that glimpse of Him!

2 comments:

Darla said...

It is humorous how to the extreme we have gone to be sure we do not worship graven images. I was raised so like you were and have some of the same experiences although my grandmothers did not have any images but my neighbors and good friends did. It really concerned me that they had so many pictures of Jesus and little crucifixes hanging everywhere. In fact, when I began making the beaded wire crosses to sell I struggled with this concept. I did notice that those of us raised in the church were more reluctant to purchase them and the Baptist women were most likely to buy them.

As you hugged me tonight I thought I need to hug you longer tonight and speak to you but whomever I was in conversation with was telling me something important to her and I needed to listen. By the time she was finished speaking I could not find you.

We all go through the ups and downs spiritually. The difference is that some let themselves stay down and some look for inspiration to raise them up again. You fit the later. I love you.

Jackie said...

Ironically, I have seem Him, in so many ways, so many times. You know me, I'm so not like this. But I have come to finally notice things He has been slapping me with for a LONG time.

I'll explain this on Friday.

Love you so much!