Thursday, October 25, 2007

Who do you honor?

It seems like, lately, I keep thinking of the word honor. I have a little card I found at a shop one time that says, "May all I do and say today honor Christ in every way." I keep it at school and try to look at it daily. It helps me focus on my goal - to honor Christ. I don't always do the job I'd like to - after all, I do work with kids! :) But it is my desire to honor His life, His sacrifice, and His reign as Lord.
Honor isn't easy. To put someone's benefit ahead of your own is not always an American trait, especially now-a-days. It's Me first, second and maybe 3rd, and then others. To know that my words, facial expressions, reactions, and decisions reflect directly on how others see Christ is overwhelming at best. How can I do it without giving people an excuse to not see the Saviour as I do? How can I show Him as One worthy when I mess up? I want people to quit looking at Jesus as someone just to be thought of on Sundays, but to be held in great esteem all day, every day.
I also need to honor others. Our society is too casual with its relationships, and we don't hold people up as they deserve. I honor Andy with my life - he chose me and gives his earthly life for my benefit, and he is also worthy of my respect and admiration. I've come to love and honor the other elders as men who seek Him, and so I honor them... and my life is happier when I treat them with the honor they deserve.
I could go on... in fact, I will. I honor Gregg as my son-in-law for being the leader of Erin's and his home. I honor my boss, and those in governmental authority, even when I don't agree with them. Their position alone calls me to do this. And I feel better when I do.
I'm not sure where all this came from - perhaps as I dealt with surgery and came to respect the man who literally had my life in his hands - his expertise and desire to help others moved me. It helped me to realize that in this life, honor is a small thing to give but a great thing to receive.

I just hope I'm doing it right!

No comments: