Monday, October 27, 2008

A week with Elizabeth and her mom

I don't know where to start with this post. I know that lots of women have had their daughters become mothers before, and that they have become grandmothers for the first time, and that lots and lots of baby girls are perfect and beautiful (my two, for example.). I know that. I know that what happened in our family last week was just another birth; thankfully a short and uneventful one in many aspects, but just one of many as supported by the numbers of babies filling the nursery at the hospital. As I watched other families oohing and aahhing at their baby, I felt a kinship with them of wonder and peace. Who knows - Elizabeth's future college roommate or husband may have been in there with her! Anyway -

Last week was wonderful. I took in so many things that I will hold forever as memories, some sweetly tender and loving, and some just down-right funny. As I lay in my bed, so glad to have made it home, I just felt Liz against my shoulder and smelled her sweet baby hair. Such a peacefullness filled me that all is well. The end of a healthy, happy pregnancy and birth. Now, her life with us begins, and we are all witnesses to it.

My Mamaw was my hero in so many ways as I grew up. I hope that as Elizabeth grows, I will be that to her - so that in years to come, she will remember me with the same love and honor.

Nana loves you, Elizabeth!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

How sweet is that blog!!!!

jenn said...

I bet you enjoyed every moment with that precious angel! I'm so glad it went well (and quickly) and I'm so glad that you were able to be there!! can't wait to meet her